Common Causes of Commercial Water Damage
Usually when companies think about water damage in their building, they think the cause will be from a huge storm. Most of the time, that is the truth but there are other factors that cause water damage in commercial buildings.
1. Damaged Appliances - This problem is more common in restaurants where they have many different appliances that could cause a problem. If you have any equipment or appliance that involves water, you could have this particular water emergency.
2. Water Heaters - It is possible for water heaters to crack or lose their seal because of high pressure. You want to make sure and follow the manufacturers guidelines and flush your heater regularly to make sure it is working properly.
3. Roofing - One of the more obvious ways that you can tell that your building has water damage is seeing water leaking from your roof. Your roof might need to be resealed or it does not drain properly. If you notice a leak, even a small one, get it fixed ASAP.
4. Malfunctioning Sprinkler Systems - If you have an older building, sometimes the sprinkler systems work with the fire protection systems. You need to check the system to make sure that it is not faulty or in need of replacement to prevent unnecessary water damage.
5. Broken Pipes/Plumbing - During colder weather, it is more possible for pipes to break if you don’t continually run water through them. You need to take care of all pipes to make sure none of them burst.
6. Backed up Sewer Lines - This water emergency might be the most disgusting and one of the most dangerous. You will have contaminated black water flowing on the floors which can cause serious health effects.
If you experience any water damage to your commercial building, SERVPRO of Lee’s Summit will get your building cleaned and up and running in no time.